2016 University District Bulk Trash Disposal Resource list
In 2014, the University District generated 2,030.00 tons of excess waste in off-campus neighborhoods at the beginning of the fall semester. Help reduce unnecessary landfill waste and quickly remove unusable items from the off-campus neighborhoods by following these guidelines.
1) Furniture Bank of Central Ohio. Your furniture will go towards families that need it the most. Plus, it's the green solution to keep unnecessary waste out of our landfills.
Schedule a free pick-up one week in advance, call: 614-545-3838
Visit: furniturebankcoh.org for more information
2) Volunteers of America. Household items can be donated to this non-profit for reuse.
Schedule a free pick-up at least four days in advance, call: 614-272-2363
Visit: voago.org/donation-faq for more information
4) Goodwill. Household items can be donated to this non-profit for reuse.
5) Neighborhood Services, Inc. Clothing and non-perishable food items can go to University District families in need.
Clothing must be washed and clean prior to donation at 1950 N Fourth Street, M-F, between 9:00am - 3:00pm.
Visit: neighborhoodservicesinc.org for more information
Use your blue City of Columbus recycling bins and fill it with acceptable items. Visit www.columbus.gov/recycle for more information about the city's recycling program. If your property does not have a blue recycling container, drop it off at one of the 200 recycling bins placed around the city. Always remember to flatten your cardboard boxes before placing them in any recycling container!!
Can't Donate or Recycle? dump your junk!
Improper disposal of trash and bulk items is illegal. Bulk items cannot be abandoned in alleyways. Get bulk items out of your neighborhood by dropping them off at one of the 12 free disposal locations placed throughout the University District.
When: Saturday, July 23rd - Sunday, August 7th ONLY
Where: One of the 12 disposal locations off-campus
What: Large items (Couches, mattresses, small appliances, carpets, desks, dressers)
Download Flyer (pdf)
If you are not able to bring your bulk items between July 23rd - August 7th, contact City of Columbus City Services to schedule a pick-up.
Please follow these guidelines when disposing items:
- DO NOT place bulk items in your property's dumpster
- DO NOT place bulk items in front of your property's dumpster (it will not make it get picked up faster)
- DO NOT abandon bulk items in the alley - this prohibits refuse trucks from accessing pick-up sites
- DO NOT disassemble furniture pieces
- DO NOT use drop-off sites for refrigerated appliances (mini-fridges, air conditioners, de-humidifiers) - you must call a private waste hauler
- Roll carpets into bundles no larger than 4 feet long and 2 feet in diameter - then tie with a rope
- Place smaller bulk items in a box