Weinland Park is quickly becoming a highly desirable, mixed-income, diverse neighborhood. Through collaboration by City of Columbus, The Ohio State University, and the active Weinland Park Civic Association, significant revitalization efforts have helped rebuild the community and improve the welfare of its residents. The area was originally platted as “New Indianola” in 1916 and planned as a “streetcar suburb” by developer Charles Johnson. It originally featured attached row houses and courtyard apartments along North Fourth Street and Eleventh Avenue, many of which remain today. Within Weinland Park, the New Indianola Historic District is included in the City of Columbus’ Historic Register. Weinland Park takes its name from its primary open space, named after a popular reformer in the 1920s, City Councilman Edgar Weinland.
Residents once walked to work in nearby industries. Today former industrial sites are being developed into mixed-use communities. In 2009, the City of Columbus adopted the Weinland Park Neighborhood Plan to guide renovation of structures and new development. Already completed are the new Weinland Park Elementary School, the Ohio State University Schoenbaum Family Center, a new police sub-station, a Neighborhood Pride Center, a new Kroger grocery store, and the South Campus Gateway on High Street. Additionally, a project called Grant Commons will renovate twenty-three duplex and row houses in the New Indianola Historic District and the former industrial site occupied by Columbus Coated Fabric is being transformed into single-family homes, multi-family units, and open space.